I love the idea of being a bit different and coming up with some really unique baby shower gifts to surprise the new mums and dads-to-be in my life. It saves them receiving a load adorable first size clothes that their newborn baby a) might never get around to wearing and b) may never even fit in! Some people are naturally creative when it comes to gifts for friends and family but I’ve got to be honest, I’m not really one of them! Thankfully there are lots of people around who are! I Here are some of the best baby shower gift ideas from parents here in Gloucestershire:
- Sign up to TakeThemAMeal.com. Take all the pressure off new parents by making sure they have a home-cooked meal ready for them each day, without them having to lift a finger (in the kitchen at least!). Get family and friends to sign up to TakeThemAMeal.com and the site will take care of all the admin so that everyone knows what they need to do and when. Thanks to Jules at The Baby Journey for this fab idea.
- A coffee shop voucher. Fuel your increasingly tired mums’ and dads’ coffee habits with a voucher for Costa or Starbucks so that they can easily grab a coffee when they’re out and about. Such a simple idea but so useful!
- A nappy sample pack. A friend of mine came up with this idea. Working out which nappies work for you and your baby can take a lot of trial and error. Take away the hassle and expense involved by making up a hamper with a selection of all the main brand nappies for them to try before they buy!
- Babysitting gift vouchers. Offer up your time to watch the new baby while mum and dad get some shut eye in those first few weeks. Or let them bank them for their first post-partum date night.
- A baby first aid course. Bonus points if you include mum, dad and grandparents to give the family complete peace of mind knowing that they could cope if their newborn takes a turn for the worse. Check out Little Hearts First Aid Training for great, affordable paediatric first aid courses here in Gloucestershire.
- Put together a new baby survival kit. My brother and sister-in-law did this for us and we thought it was brilliant! They put a bunch of items in the hamper, each with a little tag on them. These were the actual notes we got:
- Beer – For daddy. Drink me when you think ‘what did we do?!’
- Non-alcoholic cider – For mummy. Drink me when reality suddenly sets in.
- Dry shampoo – For when you can’t face washing your hair.
- Stain remover – For the poo stains.
- Chocolate – To help you through the sleepless nights.
- Nipple cream – Because you’ll have nipples like a dry river bed!
- Ibuprofen – For mummy’s sore… bits.
- Large swaddle – To prevent flashing your boobs at strangers!
- Water bottle – Because mummy will be constantly thirsty.
- A maternity photoshoot. When I researched the topic of the best baby shower gifts with mums here in Gloucestershire, photography vouchers came up a couple of times. What I’m talking about specifically here, though, is the opportunity for mum to have something really special just for her, before life becomes all about the new baby in her life. My maternity photoshoots are all about glamming up and celebrating the incredible transformation that our bodies go through during pregnancy and they would make for a really thoughtful gift from a group of close friends or a family member. Vouchers are available and I would happily transfer the value to a newborn session if mum decided against a photoshoot for her.
- A voucher for a cast of baby’s hand and feet. This is a brilliant way of preserving just how small and precious your baby is when they are newborn. Baby Prints Cheltenham offers stunning framed casts which will forever remind parents just how tiny those fingers and toes really were. I love them so much that I now offer a Baby Prints Cheltenham voucher as part of my most popular newborn photography package.
I hope you like these ideas for unique baby shower gifts. If you have any other great ideas that you’d like me to include, please comment below!
If you’d like to have a chat about how I can help you with the perfect baby shower gift, please contact me.