For the first time in my life I am actually making plans about interior design. Having lived in magnolia-clad military accommodation since I was 16 years old, I CANNOT wait to be able to put my own stamp on my own home. So even though I’m late to the party, I’d love it if you’d join me in getting excited about designing my son’s nursery!
A quick Google image search for nursery designs brings back an array of beautifully sunlit grey and white rooms with minimalistic decor. Instagram-worthy, for sure. But realistic? Not in my book. Those rooms are not going to look so perfect when you suddenly need to stick that nasty blackout blind up or your little one starts to accumulate all those colourful plastic toys that we vow we’ll never have but somehow end up with anyway…
I personally think a nursery should be a fun place to be, so I’ve compiled a list of five different fun baby room themes which are suitable for both girls and boys. I’d love to hear what you think!
1. Safari. I had originally planned on doing a jungle nursery theme but on closer inspection, I realised that this meant sloths, snakes and tarantulas rather than the elephants, lions and giraffes that I’d been thinking of! I think most kids love their animals, so a safari theme would be a great way of exciting the minds of growing boys and girls.
2. Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are cool, let’s face it. And they’re totally suitable for both boys and girls, although some may prefer to tweak some of the colours shown in these images to suit the baby girls of the world.
3. Hot air balloons. These make for a super cute baby room and there’s some great DIY ideas for the craftier ones amongst us too. They’re bright and colourful and ideal for creative nursery designs.
4. Wild adventure. I couldn’t help but be drawn to the amazing mountainous murals and watercolour animal prints in this on-trend nursery design.
5. Space . This is the theme I’m drawn to the most out of all of them purely because I’ve always had a love for space. When I was young, I had a full ceiling of glow-in-the-dark stars and I would love for Oliver to have the same. But I think I’ll be going a step further and creating a room for him that’s out of this world!
I hope you found this blog post useful. If you’d like to receive more blog posts directly to your inbox, please sign up with your email address below.