Although many parents choose a bespoke cake for their child’s cake smash session, it might be handy to know that there are loads of great, affordable cakes available in our supermarkets which will work perfectly in a cake smash session!
Here’s a few pointers when choosing a cake:
Things to remember when choosing a cake:
- Good cake smash cakes really need to be 3D! Don’t go for a plain cake that has a pattern or picture printed onto flat icing because you won’t be able to see it in your photographs and it might look really boring from the sides. Make sure there’s lots of gorgeous detail that will fit in with your chosen theme. (If you’re not sure about themes, let’s have a chat and we can come up with some awesome ideas that will suit your birthday boy/girl’s personality perfectly.)
- Never, ever go for a milk/dark chocolate cake or icing! Although your little one may LOVE the taste, you might not love the brown smears all over their face and hands in your photographs. It can look a little like, well, poo.
- Make sure the icing is nice and soft so that your little one can actually smash their cake on their own! You might need to keep the cake out of the fridge for a good while to soften up the icing.
- It’s actually surprisingly common for babies not to like cake. If you want to make sure they’re actually going to have a good time during their cake smash, it would be worth checking they like it first!!
- If you’re not sure if the cake you want will be suitable, feel free to send me a message or give me a call and I can help you.
The Best Supermarket Cake Smash Cakes
Take a look at this Pinterest board which I’ll keep up to date with all the best supermarket cakes:
Annoyingly, there are loads of cakes that are ideal for a girly cake smash but far fewer that would work for more boyish sessions. I also really struggled to find good-looking cakes that cater for children with allergies, although I did find this balloon gluten-free cake from Marks and Spencer. I think your best bet may be to either opt for a plain cake and decorate it yourself or simply to let an expert create something perfect for your child. If you do find any, I would love it if you could comment below and let me know!
If you’re yet to book your cake smash, I would love to have a chat with you about the gorgeous ideas you have in mind so that I can create your dream birthday photoshoot for your child. Get in touch!